Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apologetics Almost Always Annoys

      Have you ever had an epiphany?  You know, to suddenly realize something and to see it clearly? This has happened to me recently about the subject of apologetics.  First, for those of you who are not familiar, apologetics is the branch of theology that is concerned with the defense of Christian doctrines. In other words, apologetics is the practice of answering questions that challenge our faith.  In this manner, it is how we answer questions about our faith to non-believers, differing faiths, etc…  There are multiple scriptures to back up the practice of apologetics, for example 1 Peter 3:15, “but in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”  I am not going to bash apologetics, I realize it is necessary and good; however, its use is not always necessary, and definitely not always good.  I love talking about scripture, the gospel, and God as much as anyone, but sitting around debating all day really doesn’t get anything done, does it?  Too many Christians use apologetics as a way to save the lost, or consider it spreading the gospel.  Unfortunately, this is not what is happening.  Some of you may not have had parents who used this phrase, but mine did: “A child should speak when spoken to.”  This is how apologetics should be used.  You are a child of God, and when you want to affirm and give someone the reason you have hope in Christ, be sure you have been spoken to first. Give an answer when there is a question.  The further I dive into apologetics when talking to a non-believer, the less I see it matter.  I am in no way saying not to share your faith, by all means share the gospel of Christ, but don’t consider it your life’s purpose to prove it. My main form of apologetics is my life. I want others, non-believers and believers alike, to see my life and know that there is joy, light, and purpose in all that I do.  Too many times, intelligent Christians will lean on apologetics as sharing the gospel instead of simply caring for someone.  How many chances have you missed to honestly listen and care about someone because you felt the need to justify your faith, even though it was never in question.  You have to ask yourself, are they really challenging my faith? 

God Bless

1 comment:

  1. I've meant to comment on this post several times, and I've only just now remembered. Apologies!

    I think I agree. Apologetics should never be used as an implement for bludgeoning people with "the truth of the Gospel," and in some cases -- even when approached gently -- it can actually push people away from the Gospel. It's very easy to plant a doubt that someone never had before using it as an evangelism tool.

    I have more thoughts in my brain, but I'll leave it here for now. In a bit of a rush but I knew if I didn't comment I'd forget.

    ReplyDelete